Are the food probe and pit probe interchangeable?

Modified on Mon, 8 May, 2023 at 3:39 PM

Yes, the probes are exactly the same with the exception of the shape and size.

If you have an accident where your pit probe becomes damaged, use a food probe in the pit jack. As always be sure that the probe isn’t placed too close to the food where it could catch cool vapors and provide a false low reading.

The pit probe can be used to monitor meat as well, but it is preferable to use a food probe so it can reach further into the meat. To use a pit probe to monitor your food, remove the alligator clip from the tip of the pit probe and push it into the thickest part of the food without pushing it in past its sheath, and plug the food probe into the pit jack.

To purchase a replacement or backup probe, please visit.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select at least one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article